What is WordPress and 10 reasons why it is good for a businesses or charity website?
WordPress is an ideal platform for creating an efficient website for small and medium organisations. WordPress offers a range of CMS (content management system) features, allowing companies to manage their website with minimum effort. There is no need to study IT or invest in costly software or a license; 2 hours training and you can simply log in and edit your website independently.
With an in-built content management system (CMS), WordPress makes it is easy to keep your business website up-to-date. If you have a computer, internet access and basic skills to use a text editor (e.g. Microsoft Word), you will have no problem in keeping your website current without the need for a technical guy. As your business evolves, you can save time and money by making changes on your website that best reflect what you offer. This includes adding photos, new service or product pages, testimonials as well as updating prices or publishing latest offers.
WordPress is a popular web publishing platform; more than a fifth of the top 10 million most popular websites are created on WordPress. One in every six websites on the World Wide Web is powered by WordPress (source: Forbes, which is itself based on WordPress). If you are looking for reassurance that it can offer you what you need, then this all adds up to a good endorsement!
Below are further reasons why WordPress is ideal for small businesses:
1. WordPress is search engine friendly, making it easier for your website to be found on the Web. The structure of WordPress websites is purposely built to be easy to navigate for the end user, as well as for the web crawling robots used by Google and Bing.
2. WordPress is over 10 years old and has successfully stood the test of time. Its open-source nature has been developed and tested to make it a world-class publishing system.
3. The latest WordPress editions are responsive, so business websites are shown appropriately on PCs, laptops, mobile and tablet devices. With a responsive design, there is no need to build, optimise and maintain an additional version of the same website for small screens and touch-screen devices.
4. As your business evolves, it is straightforward to extend your website functionality (for example adding a shopping cart, booking system or just a simple enquiry from), no need to rebuild the whole website.
5. The availability of high quality templates makes it easier to define the initial website layout and minimise the development time required to build your website. This makes it a more affordable option for many small businesses.
6. If you need a developer to add custom features, resolve an issue or make an update to your website, there are thousands of developers with knowledge and experience of WordPress who could help.
7. To use WordPress you don’t need to install any software on your computer.
8. Once WordPress is set up and customised for your website, you can easily keep your website updated.
9. No licence fee to use for commercial purposes.
10. Free and regular updates every year.
These points outline some of the reasons why WordPress is a valuable solution, especially for small business websites. So many businesses use it because it is affordable and it is easy to keep it up to date in the long term.
If you have any questions about the suitability of WordPress for your business, charity or school website, please get in touch.